Almost 80 % of Italians citizens support the use of staminal embryo cells for research on new therapies. More than on third are favourable without restrictions, while another 44% would agree on the condition that research be carried out on embryos otherwise set to destroyed and 21% are totally against.
Assisted reproduction techniques are also supported by the majority of respondents: 70% think that such techniques should be allowed, while the remaining 30% express their opposition. Among those favourable, 30% set no condition, while 40% wouldn’t accept donations outside the couple. Only one out of five Italians openly express themselves against pre-implantation diagnosis; the remaining 80% split between those who agree to such diagnosis but think that, whatever the result, pregnancy should proceed anyway (10%) and those who would let the couple decide itself on the basis of the results (70%).
The survey on Italians’ opinions about staminal embryos cells and assisted reproduction is the first appointment with the “Observatory on Science and Society”.